11/27/2011

Fight Club - I Wish I Hadn't Known the Ending First

Fight Club

Directed by: David Fincher

Starring: Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, and Helena Bonham Carter

~~SPOLIER ALERT!!!!!~~

Yeah, I'm probably going to talk about things that actually happen in the film. So, if you don't want it ruined, don't read this. Go watch the movie instead. ;D

I'm not really sure how to start off with this movie. I'll try to list the bad points first, and then move on to the good stuff, but this might be a little difficult, because of one simple fact:

This was a REALLY GOOD MOVIE.

BUT, I can't start off with that. Bad stuff first, THEN praise.

Okay, so here are my complaints about the film:

First of all, it is too long. Getting through the film seemed to take FOREVER. When I was finished watching it, it felt like 3 hours had just gone by. The actual running time of the film is about 2 hours and 20 minutes, so I guess, close, but no cigar. However, I was STILL surprised by the film's actual run-time. Over 2 hours? For a movie like THIS? That's sort of stretching it a bit...

My main gripe with the length has to do with the fact that the entire first half of the film goes by so quickly. The scenes go by at a fairly quick pace, the dialouge is swift and to the point, and no time is wasted. However, as we get into the second half of the film, things suddenly seem to slow down. I suppose it's because the second half of the film is much more serious than the first half, or maybe because Brad Pitt's character, who was carrying the story along most of the time, is absent for the majority of the second half. Whichever it is, it slows the movie down to a crawl compared to the swiftness in the beginning. In the beginning, it felt like time was flying. By the end, I was glancing at the clock and wondering how much longer the film was going to go on for.

Okay, second point: Tyler Durden and the Narrator live in an abandoned house, right? I have to assume this is just some house the Narrator found at random to live in after his own apartment exploded... so, here's my question: Why do all the utilities work? Sure, the water comes out of the drains all muddy and disgusting, but it's still THERE. In homes like that, the water and power would NEVER work. So, how is it that Tyler and the Narrator are getting running water and electricity? I know this sounds really nit-picky, but it bothered me the entire movie, and I just need to mention it.

Moving on to my third point: Why didn't anyone call the police, or call SOMEONE for help, when they saw the Narrator beating the crap out of himself? Why do these men decide to make a fighting club led by a man who obviously has serious mental issues? I have to assume it's all because of his intellect, his grasp on philosophy, and the fact that he can be pummeled relentlessly, and STILL laugh in your face. But I mean, really, this guy is freaking Looney Tunes! Realistically, someone probably would've called the mad house and had this guy carted off in a straight-jacket. But again, this is probably me just being too nit-picky.

And my fourth and final point: WHY DID EVERYONE HAVE TO RUIN THIS FILM FOR ME BEFORE I EVEN WATCHED IT!?!?!?

Okay, so this has nothing to do with the film itself. But the thing is I had been considering watching "Fight Club" for a long time, and then FINALLY, when I decided I wanted to watch it, a group of girls in my Psychology class told me how it ended. Not only that, but later that same evening, as I was watching the Colbert Report, Stephen Colbert ruined the ending as well! *insert Twilight Zone music here* So basically, I went into this movie knowing EXACTLY what the whole plot twist was going to be. I felt a bit disconnected from the film because of this, and I actually envied my brother (who was watching it with me), since he had no clue about what was going to happen. He was pretty much on the edge of his seat most of the movie, and I was more laid back, wondering when they were going to get to the twist ending, and how they were going to execute it.

Because of how upset I was about having the ending ruined for me before seeing the film itself, this is all I'm going to say about it. I will NOT ruin it for everyone else. Just know this - the twist is a good one.

Alright, now we can get to the good stuff.

First of all, the acting in this film is fantastic. All of the actors give top-notch performances, including a surprisingly tender performance given by Meatloaf, who I had never expected to see playing a nice guy.

Edward Norton is by-far the best in this film, capturing the Narrator's character so well. The way the character changes through the film is fantastic, metamorphosizing from a basically normal, if eccentric, man to a ruined mess with a broken mind. Norton pulls this off perfectly, as his attitude, appearance, and mannerisms change as the film goes on. Not only is Norton's performance impressive, however, but his voice-over work is great as well. Norton really keeps the film going with his voice-overs, leading the audience from one scene to another, giving us a chance to really get inside the Narrator's mind. What's interesting about the Narrator, however, is how he takes small events in the film and finds ways to integrate them into his narrative. For example, in one scene the Narrator finds a pile of old magazines, which have stories written from the point-of-view of different organs in a human body ("I am Jack's colon."). From then on, the Narrator sometimes interjects in a voice-over, saying things like, "I am Jack's broken heart," "I am Jack's cold sweat," and, my favorite, "I am Jack's smirking revenge." Not only that, but Norton pulls off "crazy" so well, it almost seems real. My favorite part has to be when the Narrator takes his revenge out on his boss (thus, "I am Jack's smirking revenge"), which really shows Norton's ability to play a nasty, cynical, and uncaring individual who's finally getting his vengeance.

Brad Pitt is great as well, although Pitt's performance seemed a bit overshadowed by Norton's, since the Narrator is the main focus of the film. However, there wouldn't be much of a film without Pitt's character, Tyler. No matter how much I think about it, I cannot see anyone else playing Tyler Durden as well as Brad Pitt does. Tyler's lines are probably the best in the whole film, and Pitt delivers the lines so well, giving the audience equal parts casual indifference and wild insanity. I have to say, I LOVE seeing Brad Pitt play a "bad boy," especially one who isn't totally there mentally. And no, I'm not swooning over Brad Pitt's "bad boy hotness." The fact is, when he plays a character who is evil, or uncaring, or just a complete jerk, his acting is at its best, especially if that character also has a touch of insanity. In comparison, his "nice guy" performances aren't as good, tending to be a bit more toned-down. "Fight Club" is one of those Brad Pitt films where Pitt is playing a cocky asshole, and he KNOWS it, and he's having FUN with it. Bottom line, I enjoyed every minute Pitt was on-screen in this movie. His best scene, though, has to be the part in which Lou's cronie is beating Tyler up, literally smashing his face in, and all Tyler does is laugh in the guy's face, coughing up blood. Pitt's delivery is perfect, replying to each punch with some smart-ass comment, or just a bout of insane laughter. I laughed as the scene went on, but did so uncomfortably, unsure of how to properly react to it.

Secondly, this film's composition is unique and daring, with its bizarre editing, and its strange scenes that come out of the blue and completely break the fourth wall. Thankfully, the film is able to pull this off without seeming silly, and no matter how bizarre things seem to get, the film is still able to run smoothly, without a hitch. The best example of this film's unique and bizarre composition is a scene of Brad Pitt just giving a monolouge, which seems to come out of nowhere. The camera slowly zooms in on Pitt, until it is uncomfortably close to his face, and as he looks straight into the camera, the entire frame suddenly begins shaking uncontrollably, until Pitt looks away, and the film returns to "normality." (If you would like to see this scene, I swear it won't ruin any part of the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo-wkv8gW6k.) This scene is probably one of the most memorable parts of the film, coming completely out of nowhere and instilling a feeling of discomfort, and even dread. A lot of that, I believe, comes solely from the bizzare editting of this short, 30-second monolouge.

And thirdly, the film has a good, engaging story. This movie was written very well, with quick sarcastic dialouge and voice-overs that tie everything together. The majority of the film is in a flash-back, peppered with random scenes that could possibly be other flash-backs, or the Narrator's imaginings, or scenes that seem to have no rhyme or reason. The film is, for the most part, one long narrative being told by the Narrator, and so what the audience sees on the screen is what the Narrator is seeing in his own mind. What you end up with is a movie that is very much like a book written in the first person. The Narrator tells us the story while also showing us the action, and compliments the story with little anecdotes and scenes, pulling the viewer deeper into the story, and into the Narrator's mind. I have to say, this is possibly one of the most well-written films I have ever seen, with a bizzare story that somehow works very, very well.

So, to sum up: Despite the length of the film, and the fact that the second half moves at a slower pace than the first half, "Fight Club" is an extraordinarily good movie. I find it amazing how well the acting, the writing, and the composition of the film work together and compliment each other, creating a bizzare work of art that is strangely engaging and entertaining. This movie is very unique; I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it before in my life. I have to applaud everyone involved with the creation of this film. It is unique, and it is daring, and it is just plain weird, and yet it totatally works. Somehow, everything about this film falls into place so neatly. In fact, upon reflection, I have to say, this may have been one of the best films I have ever seen.

So, should you see it? I would have to say, HELL YES. This is a great film, and I am sure you won't regret watching it. This is definitely one of Brad Pitt's best movies, and if you're a Pitt fan, you can't afford to miss out on this film.

The final verdict on "Fight Club," then? Let's say it's a 9 out of 10. It's a great film, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Now, stop reading about it, and go watch the damn movie! :D

~ Oliv ~

No comments:

Post a Comment