1/30/2012

Creative Writing Story Idea

Alright, I have this project for my Creative Writing class, in which I have to write a short story. I've been playing with an idea for a little while now, and I figured I'd write some of it out. Let me know what you think!

I don't really know where the idea came from, or why it seemed so inexorably inviting. All that I knew for certain was that it had suddenly come into my mind that, despite my father's warnings, I should go out beyond the path behind the house, and explore the small wood that stood there. Father had always told me that there was nothing out there worth seeing, and besides, what if I got lost or hurt? As far as Father was concerned, the place was off-limits, and I had always respected this. But quite suddenly, I felt this urge, this NEED to go out there, to explore the place. I would look out the window, and see the branches of the willows bending down over the juniper bushes, and I would shudder longingly.

And so, I resolved to sneak out of the house, while the old man slept in the dead of the night, and make my way towards the outstretched branches of the wood.


This is all I have so far, but I wanted to know what everyone thinks. Is this a good opening to a short horror story? Especially if it's in the style of Poe? Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment